Dec 1, 2011

Mint Cacao Chip Ice Cream


Raw ice cream? Really? YES! Welcome to one of my favorite kinds! I love how I can create and still enjoy pretty much anything with natural foods. The cacao nibs give this ice cream a nice texture and taste. What I like about eating raw ice cream is that I feel satisfied....I don't need to keep scooping more into my bowl because I can't get enough artificial sugar!
RAW ice cream does harden more than regular ice cream, so when you'd like some, let it sit out for about 10 minutes to thaw a bit in order to make scooping a little easier. I also did not use an ice cream maker. I took it out once to stir and placed it back in the freezer. This recipe is from everydayraw by Matthew Kenney.

1 cup raw cashews, soaked 1-2 hours
1/2 cup young coconut meat (I used a banana in mine b/c it's all I had)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 1/4 cup water
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, scraped
pinch sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 tbsp. spinach juice (optional)
2 tbsp. peppermint extract
1/4 cup cacao nibs

Blend all ingredients except the cacao nibs in a high-speed blender. Mix until very smooth. Pour into an ice cream maker, add cacao nibs, and follow manufacturer's instructions. Yields 1 quart.

No comments:

Post a Comment