Oct 2, 2012

Making Sprouted Grain Flour

Yes, can you believe it?  I make my own flour...who does that, right?  You're thinking, "She's crazy!"  I have to say, I am one step away from buying 100 acres of land and some John Deere tractors so that I can grow fields of grain.  Just kidding.  I worked on my grandfather's farm - that was good enough!  However, I feel VERY earthy about sprouting my own grains and grinding them into flour.  It just makes everything I make with it taste 100% better.  I believe in this little thing called, LOVE.  When love goes into food, it just tastes better and I feel better.  Hence the reason why I don't eat out much because that guy in the back who is making my food probably doesn't love me all that much and he's more than likely stressed out, so when I eat his stressed out food I gain stress.  Single mom of little ones....I think I'll pass on the extra stress.  Thanks! 

Anyway, making flour from a whole grain is so, so, SO simple that it's just ridiculous.  And it really doesn't take much time on your part at all. 

Here's how it goes.  Ready?

Step 1:  Soak your grains overnight in purified water.  I usually soak them in a sprouting jar (mason jar with a screen top).


Step 2:  Rinse your grains the next morning in a strainer and return to jars with screen.  Place jars slightly on their side to drain any excess liquid.  Repeat again before going to bed.  Do this step for 2-3 days in a row or until you see buds on your grains. (Wheat berries usually take only 1-2 days to sprout.)

 

Step 3:  Rinse grains thoroughly, then place them on dehydrator trays using the teflon sheets.  Dehydrate at 115 degrees overnight or until dry.  (This is an example of sprouted buckwheat.)



 



Step 4:  Place all grains in a high-speed blender and blend until a fine flour is created.  (Takes seconds.)  **You can also store the grains in a glass container in the refrigerator and blend when you are ready to use.  (This picture shows a food processor.  You can use a food processor, but a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix, will process it into finer granules.)





Step 5:  Keep in a sealed glass container and place in the refrigerator.  Lasts about a month.  

Sprouting grains are more alkalizing to the body and inhibits phytic acid from blocking many important minerals from absorbing in the body.  It also increases vitamin content.  You can lightly steam sprouted grains and add it to casseroles, breads, etc. or you can grind it into flour for later use as I've shown above.  For just a little bit of time, you will gain more nutritional value in your food!  SNAP!




No comments:

Post a Comment