Mar 13, 2013

Changing It Up!

Life is a journey, isn't it?  Once we think we have it all figured out, life happens and things shift again.  This is why I am so glad certain "how-to's" such as putting on my shoes or peeling a banana haven't changed.  Can you imagine?.  ;)  Since 2009 I have been on a food journey, changing the way I eat and prepare foods and it has been one of the biggest undertakings of my life...besides being a single mother of two.....and, of course, you might as well throw in the whole birthing process of having those beautiful beings in my life.  WOWZAS!

Anyway, I am here to tell you that anytime you make a change, it is a process and definitely NOT one that happens overnight.  When people talk with me about what I do, they feel like they could never accomplish the things that I've accomplished.  If I talked to myself, which I don't, I'd probably feel that same way.  I mean, who the hell makes their own cereal?  Isn't that so primitive?  Where's your cave, woman?

Truth be told, I am a pretty healthy eater, but I don't always follow the rules.  I still enjoy foods that don't follow the RAW outline.  People are shocked when I tell them this.  So, I want to put it out there because many times we have this impression of how it is, when really it isn't.  I still eat the occasional pizza, ice cream, french fries, blah, blah, blah.  Why not?  For me, and I can only speak for myself, it's no fun being good all the time.  And quite honestly, I don't have the time to always be good.  Now, I don't eat that stuff every day or even every other day.  But once in a while, there's a place for it.  I would say 90-95% of the meals I make for my family are healthy, unprocessed and at home. Considering my circumstances and lifestyle, that's pretty good.

Even now, I have turned more into a vegetarian than I am a raw foodist.  I still love raw foods and definitely still hold a true passion for it, but sometimes I want a warm, cooked meal with a side of another warm, cooked meal.  My all time favorite, feel-good breakfast, especially on the weekends, is scrambled eggs with salsa, avocado and whole-grain toast.

So if you feel like making changes to the way you eat is just too daunting and impossible, think again.
Food is fun and it definitely holds a purpose....to fuel your body.  Don't be afraid to be imperfect in the process, though  It's about experimenting, listening to your body and eating with consciousness...with some wiggle room for unleashing that naughty side.




No comments:

Post a Comment